Melanin is a chemical compound that is responsible for coloring the skin and the production of too much melanin causes freckles, black marks, and liver marks on face. These phenomena also known as hyperpigmentation, which can be caused by hormonal imbalance, sun exposure, too much stress, pregnancy or side effects of many drugs. This condition is not so serious, but everyone wants to get rid of black spots on his/her face to look more bright and fair. There are many ways to remove black marks such as medications, laser treatment, acid peels, etc.. If you have black marks on the face, it is better to use home remedies rather than synthetic one.
Signs of black marks on face
black marks generally seen in people with a fair skin, although they can also be seen in people with blacker skin. You black marks will look like:
- Your marks can be black like mole or brownish marks.
- Usually flat and oval in shape and areas of enlarged pigmentation.
- Appears on skin that are most exposed to the sun over the years, such as your face, shoulders and upper back, the backs of hands, tops of your feet.
- The size can be speckle to more than o.5 inch across and can cluster together, makes them too visible.
What causes black marks on face?
black marks on face usually caused by too much exposure to the sun. Suppose, you work years after years under exposure to ultra-violet (UV) ray. The use of commercial tanning lamps and beds are also responsible to some extent for developing black marks on your skin. Ultra-violet ray from the sun speed up the building of melanin under your skin. Some portion of your skin, which have years of recurrent sun exposure and of course, what is more exposed than your face and hand. Then you see black marks on your skin appearance when melanin becomes cluster or its production is particularly high concentrations.
Natural remedies to remove black marks on face
We suggest some easy and natural remedies that you can try at your home to remove your black spot on the face:
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice can be an easy and quick solution, which is commonly found in your nearest grocery shop or check your kitchen. Lemon juice contains a huge amount of vitamin C having the capacity of lightening black marks on the face. The applying method is very easy, use the lemon juice directly on black marks by cotton and rub it gently. Wait for a few minutes to dry it naturally and then wash off using normal water. Apply it continuously for at least 2 weeks or more until your desired result. You can also apply a little amount of sugar as a scrub with lemon juice. If your skin is sensitive, use plain water or honey or rose water to dilute the lemon juice. Also use sun block to protect sun exposure. Other citrus fruit like lime, orange can be used as same way to remove black marks.
- Almonds: Almond pest can remove black marks. Almond can be applied with sandalwood powder and honey for better result. Apply daily for fair, smooth and spotless skin. 8 to 10 almonds should put in milk for the whole night. Next morning, make a fine paste by grinding them. Mix it with sandalwood and honey. Apply it on face and let it dry of its own and wash it off.
- Buttermilk: Another beneficiary natural remedy is buttermilk to remove black marks on face. It helps to fade the marks as well as not causing burning sensation. Buttermilk is most helpful for sensitive skin. Applying method, mix four teaspoons of buttermilk with 2 teaspoons of fresh tomato juice. Apply it on your face and allow to dry for 15 minutes and wash it off with normal water. Milk contains lactic acid, which will reduce skin pigmentation gradually. Beside this it will brighten your skin complexion. Therefore, milk can be used instead of buttermilk. Apply milk directly by cotton balls or apply it after mixing with honey. Let it dry for 10-15 minutes and then wash off. For better result, you can repeat it twice daily for one month.
- Potato: Potato is the most common vegetable that can be used for removing black patches or black marks on face. Potato is applied on face in two different ways:
- Firstly, make a mask of grated potato combined with honey.
- Secondly, slice the potato and place the slices on black marks, allow it for few times. Then wash off with warm water.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is an antibacterial remedy, also contains vitamins. The inner gel-like part is used as a natural black spot remover. Use aloe Vera gel directly on affected area or the whole face. Massage it gently for a few minutes and then wash using warm water. Repeat this remedy daily for 1 to two weeks.
- Tomato: The tomato is known as natural bleach. Before using tomato you have to make sure that you have no allergic reaction against tomato. You can use red tomato to remove black marks and make complexion fair. Tomato shows faster action than any other home remedy. Take the fresh tomato paste and mixed it with turmeric. Apply it on face, wait for 20 minutes. Use plain water to wash off. Only tomato paste can be applied.
- Oats: Oatmeal powder is a good remedy for beautification. Oatmeal mask can be applied to remove dead skin and black marks on face and neck. Apply it twice in a week. Take four teaspoons of oats and grind it. Make a paste with lemon juice. Scrub it on your marks and allow to dry on the face. Wash it off with warm water and use a soft, clean cloth to remove the mask.
- Sandalwood powder: Sandalwood powder is another effective herbal remedy as a black spot reducer. Apply a thick paste of sandalwood powder, water and glycerin on face. Wash it off with warm water when dry. Use it daily until complete removal of your black marks.
- Onion juice: Onion juice is another surprising home remedy for black marks. To make onion juice, you can use blander, juicer or grater. It can be applied in various ways. Combine onion juice with honey and apply it in black marks. Leave it for some minutes. Apply fresh onion juice on face by cotton balls and leave if for drying. Then wash with normal water.
- Papaya: Papaya contains an enzyme, papain that can help to fade black marks and even out skin tone. Papain can exfoliate skin to give a fresh look. You can use both green and ripe papaya whatever you like. Apply grated green papaya with lime juice on the black marks, wait for 15 minutes before washing off. Another option is the pulp of ripe papaya. Apply it tothe skin and leave it for 20 minutes. To remove black areas of your knees and elbows you can also use the papaya skin as a scrub.
Some important tips before starting your own treatment
- Find out the real cause of pigmentation.
- Treatment should be based on your skin type. Home remedies can lighten your marks, but cannot remove totally.
- Consult with a dermatologist if the condition is serious.
- Vitamin-E, black cumin oil help to remove black marks.
- For fresh and younger looking skin maintain a proper sleep.
- Beside the remedies you should avoid too much stress.
- Drink at least three liter water daily.
- Build a habit of taking more fruits and vegetables rather than meat.
What to expect from a medical treatment?
There are different brands of fade creams and lotions for removing skin marks are available in department stores, in drugstores and on the Internet. These may lighten your black marks on face, depending on how black your marks are and how often you use the cream, also what kind of brand you’re choosing. Apply regularly over 6-8 weeks or minimum 2 months to see noticeable changes of your skin color. Be a label reader, your cosmetics should contain hydroquinone, glycolic acid or kojic acid, for best effecting results. Also note that some cosmetics, which contain hydroquinone, may cause skin irritation. If you’re still not satisfied or your condition is not improving, you may seek for medical treatment. There are different types of treatments are available:
- Medication: Some usual medications for black marks on face:
- bleaching creams (hydroquinone)
- Retinoids (tretinoin)
Also, you need to use a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30. There are several side effect of the treatment like rashes, itiching etc. and you need to continue several months.
- Freezing (cryotherapy): Apply liquid nitrogen or another freezing agent to the black marks to destroy the extra pigment. This method is usually used on a single black spot or a small grouping of black marks. Also have plenty of side effects.
- Chemical peel: This peel involves applying an acid to you affected areas that will burns the outer layer of your skin. Use sun protection as well.
- Laser therapy: Laser therapy is the most modern technology to enlighten your black or black marks. This therapy involves destroying melanin production cells without damaging your skin’s surface. However, laser therapy typically require several sessions and expensive.
If your marks aren’t too much visible or your facing other complications, you may try home remedies. Most of the time these black marks are harmless, it can be due to your age. Also, try age spots treatment for a natural glowing skin. Try to avoid intense sunlight, for example sun light at the middle of the day. Use sun blocks, in case you need to go out in the sun.